Take a getaway you have been considering with indulgent spa days and boutique shopping on the island. If it is a man-cation you arere after, make it a deep-sea fishing challenge. Scuba diving and golf are more fun ways to spend time with the guys. Take a trip when kids are out for summer. The beach is glistening, and plenty of family-fun activities such as kayaking, sailing and renting wave runners make for a memorable vacation. Plan a picnic, build dreamy sandcastles and catch free live concerts at the beach.
Pensacola is a historic beach city in northwest Florida, in the US. It is located in Escambia County, Florida's westernmost county, at the tip of the "panhandle". The city is home to the Pensacola Naval Air Station, the National Museum of Naval Aviation and many historic districts that skirt the downtown area. Surrounded on three sides by water, the Pensacola area is full of history, shipwrecks, beaches and spectacular vistas.
200 mi ~ 3 hrs 8 mins from New Orleans, LA.
196 mi ~ 3 hours 5 mins from Tallahassee, FL.
164 mi ~ 3 hours 5 mins from Montgomery, AL.
Pensacola is a sea port on Pensacola Bay, which connects to the Gulf of Mexico. A United States Naval Air Station, the first in the United States, and is home to the Blue Angels flight demonstration team and the National Museum of Naval Aviation. The main campus of the University of West Florida is situated north of the city center.
Pensacola has the nickname "The City of Five Flags." Pensacola has been owned by five nations: Spain, France, the United Kingdom, the United States, and the Confederate States.
Other nicknames include "World's Whitest Beaches" (due to the white sand prevalent along beaches in the Florida panhandle), "Cradle of Naval Aviation" (the National Museum of Naval Aviation is located at the Pensacola Naval Air Station, home of the legendary Blue Angels), "Western Gate to the Sunshine State," "America's First Settlement," "Emerald Coast," "Redneck Riviera," and "Red Snapper Capital of the World."
* Naval Air Station Pensacola, S. end of Navy Blvd. 190 Radford Blvd Pensacola, FL 32508.
* The Blue Angels. The elite jet-fighter pilots of the U.S. Navy are stationed at NAS Pensacola for part of the year, and if you're in the west portion of Pensacola at 8:30 AM when they practice, you may be able to see them performing flight maneuvers overhead.
* Fort Barrancas, Taylor Rd.
The Fort Barrancas Area is on Taylor Road approximately a half mile east from the Museum of Naval Aviation. The area includes the historic Water Battery, Fort Barrancas, trails, visitor center, picnic areas, and the Advanced Redoubt.
Fort Barrancas sits on a bluff overlooking the entrance to Pensacola Bay. The natural advantages of this location have inspired engineers of three nations to build forts. The British built the Royal Navy Redoubt here in 1763 of earth and logs. The Spanish built two forts here around 1797. Bateria de San Antonio was a masonry water battery at the foot of the bluff. Above it was earth and log Fort San Carlos de Barrancas. American engineers remodeled the Water Battery in 1840 and built a masonry fort on the bluff between 1839 and 1844, connected by a tunnel to the Water Battery. This is the current Fort Barrancas. A $1.2 million, eighteen-month restoration project led to its reopening in 1980.
* National Museum of Naval Aviation, 1750 Radford Blvd.
Fly high with an adventure at the National Naval Aviation Museum, one of the world's largest aviation museums. Located aboard Naval Air Station Pensacola, this historic treasure boasts more than 150 beautifully restored aircraft, hands-on exhibits and more than 4,000 artifacts representing Navy, Marine Corps and Coast Guard aviation. Watch the awe-inspiring Blue Angels at practice air shows from March through November, take a ride in a motion-based or Top Gun Air Combat simulator, have fun with the ultimate seven story giant screen movie experience in the IMAX Theatre and dine in the Cubi Bar Cafe, an exhibit itself. There are plenty of family-friendly ways to get the most out of quality time with the kids. Free admission is an added bonus, as well as free tours inside the Museum and on the flight line.
* Pensacola Lighthouse, 190 Radford Blvd. Lighthouse lovers may want to check out the black-and-white Pensacola Lighthouse.
* Mardi Gras in Pensacola is a time to let your hair down, dye it purple, then march into the streets or bars for shiny beads, moon pies, liquor and fun. Don't go too wild though!
The odd scheduling does give a unique benefit: you can see all three parades in the Pensacola Area on the weekend, then travel to Mobile or New Orleans for their spectacular, and ribald, Fat Tuesday parades.
- Krewe of Lafitte Parade, Corner of Spring St and Garden St, to Palafox Pl, to Government St, . F prior to Fat Tuesday 8PM.
- The Grand Parade, Corner of Spring St and Main St, to Garden St, to Palafox St, back to Main St. Sa prior to Fat Tuesday 2PM.
* Pensacola Museum of Art,407 S Jefferson St., Pensacola, FL 32502-5901.
* St Michael's Cemetery Foundation of Pensacola Inc
6 North Alcaniz Street, Pensacola, FL 32501.
* Veterans Memorial and Wall South, (intersection of Romana St and Bayfront Pkwy).
* Gulf Islands National Seashore - For Naval Live Oaks, For Fort Barrancas, For Fort Pickens.
* Historic Pensacola Village, 120 East Church Street, Pensacola, FL 32501.
* Sam's Fun City & Surf City, 6709 Pensacola Blvd, Pensacola, FL 32505.
* T.T. Wentworth, Jr. Florida State Museum, 330 South Jefferson Street, Pensacola, FL 32502.
>City(s) = Pensacola; State(s) = FL; Country = USA.
>Title = Pensacola(Beach and National Museum of Naval Aviation), FL, US - Video.
>Keywords = Pensacola, Beach, FL, northwest, Florida, US, Escambia, County, panhandle, Naval, Air, Station, the, National, Museum, of, Aviation, ourtripvideos, our, trip, videos, crlapindfrn, Blue, Angels, Home, to, City, Five, Flags, Whitest, Beaches, Cradle, Gulf, Mexico, University, West, Fort, Barrancas, Taylor, Rd, Radford, Blvd, Lighthouse, Mardi, Gras, Krewe, Lafitte, Parade, Grand, Art, St, Michaels, Cemetery, Veterans, Memorial, and, Wall, South, Islands, Seashore, Live, Oaks, Pickens, Sams, Fun, Surf, Wentworth, Village, Historic (132)
>Catg = Beach [Ocean City/Miami/VA Beach]