Video Description - Published on Jan/01/2010
Houston, TX, US.
Houston is the largest city in Texas and the 3rd largest in the US. It is huge, both in population and in land area. "Urban sprawl" is a term tailor-made for this city, due to Houston being the largest unzoned city in the country. Houston is a multicultural city home to some of the nation's largest Asian, Arab and Latin American populations. But its culture is not limited to diverse population - it also boasts a world class symphony and theater district that includes a full-time ballet company and opera.
Houston is the largest city in the United States without any appreciable zoning. While there is some small measure of zoning in the form of ordinances and land use regulations, real estate development in Houston is only constrained by the will and the pocketbook of real estate developers.
What this means to visitors is that Houston covers a larger land area with less population than might otherwise be expected. The city is primarily built on the energy industry and nearly everyone owns a car and drives everywhere they go. However, the city is becoming more dense and walkable, particularly in the Midtown/Montrose areas. With a few exceptions, almost everything to see or do is in Houston's urban core inside the 610 Loop and more specifically in between downtown, the Galleria, and the Texas Medical Center
Houston was founded on August 30, 1836, by brothers Augustus Chapman Allen and John Kirby Allen on land near the banks of Buffalo Bayou. The city was incorporated on June 5, 1837, and named after then-President of the Republic of Texas - former General Sam Houston - who had commanded at the Battle of San Jacinto, which took place 25 miles (40 km) east of where the city was established.
Welcome to Space Center Houston - the Official Visitors Center of NASA's Johnson Space Center.
Space Center Houston is a place where people can experience space -- from its dramatic history and exciting present to its compelling future. Space Center Houston is the only place on Earth that gives guests an out-of-this-world journey through human adventures into space.
Space Center Houston's unparalleled exhibits, attractions, special presentations and hands-on activities tell the story of NASA's manned space flight program. SCH is the only place in the world where visitors can see astronauts train for missions, touch a real moon rock, land a shuttle, and take a behind-the-scenes tour of NASA.
At Space Center Houston, guests can understand the past, experience the present, and be a part of the future of the space Program.
Space Center Houston is located approximately 25 miles south of downtown Houston in the NASA/Clear Lake area.
Level 9 Tour
Go Behind the Scenes. See where the Astronauts "Hang Out"!
The Level Nine Tour takes you behind the scenes to see the real world of NASA up close and personal. On this four to five-hour tour you will see Mission Control and where the astronauts train.
NASA Tram Tour
With this behind-the-scenes journey through NASA's Johnson Space Center, you may visit the Historic Mission Control Center, the Space Vehicle Mockup Facility or the current Mission Control Center. Before returning to Space Center Houston, you can visit the "all new" Saturn V Complex at Rocket Park. Occasionally, the tour may visit other facilities, such as the Neutral Buoyancy Laboratory. You may even get to see astronauts training for upcoming missions.
THE DOWNTOWN AQUARIUM
Houston's Downtown Aquarium & Restaurant offers family fun, dining, spectacular land and sea creatures and gorgeous views of the downtown Houston. You will find a 500,000-gallon underwater adventure complex with more than 200 species of aquatic life from around the globe.
Take in the sights and sounds of the Louisiana Swamp, a Rainforest and you won't want to miss Maharaja's Temple where you will be captivated by the beautiful white tigers.
A variety of amusements including the Diving Bell Ferris wheel, carousel and Shark Voyage train ride will top off the experience!
Houston Nicknames :
The Big Heart
Energy Capital of the World
Driving Distance :
51.4 mi ~ 54 mins from Galveston, TX
241 mi ~ 3 hrs 48 mins from Dallas, TX
193 mi ~ 3 hrs 33 mins from Austin, TX
197 mi ~ 3 hrs 15 mins from San Antonio, TX
269 mi ~ 4 hrs 14 mins from Baton Rouge, LA
347 mi ~ 5 hrs 24 mins from New Orleans, LA
* NASA Space Center Houston, in Clear Lake. 1601 NASA Parkway (formerly NASA Rd. 1), Houston, TX 77058.
* Houston Museum of Natural Science, Midtown. 1 Hermann Circle Dr, Houston, TX.
* Houston Zoo, Midtown. 6200 Golf Course Dr., Houston, TX.
* Museum of Fine Arts Houston, Midtown. 1001 Bissonnet Street, Houston, TX.
* Children's Museum of Houston, Midtown. 1500 Binz Street, Houston, TX.
* The Health Museum, Midtown. 1515 Hermann Drive, Houston, TX.
* Houston Holocaust Museum, Midtown. 5401 Caroline Street, Houston, TX.
* Contemporary Arts Museum, 5216 Montrose Boulevard, Houston, TX.
* Hermann Park. Golf Course Dr, Houston, TX.
* Menil Collection, Montrose. 1515 Sul Ross Street,Houston, TX.
* Bayou Bend. 1 Westcott Street, Houston, TX. Museum of Fine Arts Houston: Bayou Bend Collection
* Discovery Green Park, Downtown. 1500 McKinney Street, Houston, TX.
* Downtown Tunnel System, Downtown.
* Chase Tower Observatory, Downtown. 600 Travis Street.
* Forbidden Gardens. 23500 Franz Rd, Katy, TX.
* Diverse Works, 1117 E. Freeway (N. Main at Naylor).
* Williams Tower, in Uptown. 2800 Post Oak Boulevard Houston, TX.
* Houston Ship Channel Boat Tour.
* Downtown Aquarium, Downtown. - 410 Bagby St, Houston, TX 77002.
* Rothko Chapel, 1409 Sul Ross Street, Houston, TX.
* Buffalo Soldiers National Museum (BSNM), 1834 Southmore Boulevard, Houston, TX.
* 1940 Air Terminal Museum, 8325 Travelair Street, Houston, TX.
- Reflection pool in Hermann Park.
- METRO light rail along the Main Street Corridor in Downtown.
City(s) = Houston; State(s) = TX; Country = USA.
Title = Houston, TX, US - Pictures.
Keywords = Texas, Urban, sprawl, ballet, company, and, opera, Midtown, Montrose, exas, Medical, Center, Galleria, Buffalo, Bayou, Sam, Houston, Battle, of, San, Jacinto, NASA, Space, ourtripvideos, our, trip, videos, crlapindfrn, Johnson, human, adventures, manned, flight, program, moon, rock, shuttle, behind, the, scenes, tour, Clear, Lake, area, Level, Tram, DOWNTOWN, AQUARIUM, Bell, Ferris, wheel, carousel, Shark, Voyage, train, ride, Town, City, Zoo, Museum, Natural, Science, Chase, Tower, Observatory, Hermann, Park, Williams