Video Description - Published on Mar/04/2010
The National Cherry Blossom Festival(NCBF) is Washington, DC's and the nation's greatest springtime celebration. The 2010 Festival, March 27 - April 11, includes three spectacular weekends and daily events featuring diverse and creative programming promoting traditional and contemporary arts and culture, natural beauty, and community spirit. The 2010 Festival commemorates the 98th anniversary of the gift of the cherry blossom trees and the enduring friendship between United States and Japan.
* National Cherry Blossom Festival kickoff press conference, announcing: 1) 2010 Festival information; 2) Initial plans for the Centennial Celebration in 2012. 3) Predicted peak blooming dates of the cherry blossoms.
Who: The National Cherry Blossom Festival, Inc., Mayor Adrian Fenty's office, and the National Park Service.
When: Thr, Mar 4, 2010; 9:00am - Media Breakfast & Pre-conference interviews, 10:00am - Press Conference.
Where: The Newseum, Atrium, 555 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC.
After welcoming remarks by Joe Urschel, Executive Director of the Newseum, the following speakers made remarks :
* Dianan Mayhew, President, NCBF - Gave festival overview
* Adrian M. Fenty, Mayor, District of Columbia - Discussed the economic importane of the Festival to all DC neighborhoods;
* Susan E.S. Norton, Chair of the Board , NCBF - introduced festival partners and the goodwill ambassadors;
* Hideo Fukushima, Minister for Public Affairs, Embassy of Japan - discussed the Embassy's growing role in the festival;
* Ambassador John Malott, President & CEO, Japan-America Society of Washington DC - discussed about 50th Annual Sakura Masturi - Japanese Street Festival;
* Jo-ann Straat, Senior Manager, Public Affairs, Daiichi Sankyo, Inc., addressed plans for the 2012 Centennial Celebration; and
* Rob Defeo, Chief Horticulturalist, National Park Service - addressed this year's blooming prediction.
- Festival Press Conference - Thr, Mar 4.
- Pink Tie Party fund-raiser - Thr, Mar 11.
- Family Day & Opening Ceremony presented with the National Building Museum - Sat, Mar 27.
- Cherry Blast: A Night of Contemporary Art + Music - Fri, Apr 2.
- Fireworks Show with Musical Prelude - Sat, Apr 3.
- Lantern Lighting Ceremony - Sun, Apr 4.
- Gala Dinner Cruise aboard the Odyssey - Thr, Apr 8.
- National Cherry Blossom Festival Parade - Sat, Apr 10.
- Sakura Matsuri - Japanese Street Festival - Sat, Apr 10.
- Credit Union Cherry Blossom 10 Mile Run - Sun, Apr 11.
- Daily Cultural Performances on the Target Stage at Sylvan Theatre - Sat, Mar 27 - Sun, Apr 11.
City(s) = Washington DC; State(s) = DC; Country = USA.
Title = National Cherry Blossom Festival Press Conference, Washington DC, US - Pictures.
Keywords = National, Cherry, Blossom, Festival, 2010, Press, Conference, NCBF, Washington, DC, springtime, celebration, March, 27, April, 11, weekends, meet, events, arts, culture, natural, beauty, 98th, anniversary, gift, trees, friendship, US, Japan, ourtripvideos, our, trip, videos, crlapindfrn, Centennial, 2012, Predicted, blooming, dates, Inc, Mayor, Adrian, Fentys, office, nps, Newseum, Atrium, Pennsylvania, Hideo, Fukushima, Embassy, of, Dianan, Mayhew, Susan, Norton, Jo, ann, Straat, Rob, Defeo